On these dangerous plants….some of these will never be an issue if your horses are kept in large pastures with plenty of grass.
A note about wild cherry….this is not a problem until the leaves are stressed or wilted which obviously happens when a limb falls or is cut down. At this point, the leaves begin to manufacture CYANIDE and most often the veterinarian is not able to arrive in time to counteract the problem. Cherry leaves taste very sweet when they begin wilting and horses love them! Horses die rapidly from ingesting stressed cherry leaves so if a limb falls or is cut, dispose of it quickly. Red Maple leaves can also be toxic when they fall in the autumn season( or a branch falls or is cut)